At the North Hartsville Elementary School (NHE), there is a program sponsored by Duke-Progress Energy that strives to provide a “friend” to kids. There are more kids that need a friend than there are volunteers at Duke-Progress Energy; so that is where First Presbyterian Church can help. FPC has teamed up with Duke-Progress Energy to provide mentors.
Goal of Program – To provide positive role models for students.
Role of Mentor:
- Contact ambassador weekly (visit, e-mail, fax, etc.)
- Join ambassador for lunch at least every 1-2 weeks
- Attend special events, end-of-year party, etc.
NOTE: Expensive gifts are not encouraged. The program should focus on developing the self-esteem of each child and letting them have contact with a positive role model.
Role of NHE:
- Recommend ambassadors (based on student home life situation, increased need for one-on-one, positive attention.)
- Communicate “need” of Ambassador to Mentor.
- Notify Duke-Progress Energy of special events, etc.
- Mid-September: Kick Off Celebration at NHE – Deliver School Supplies
- October: Deliver Halloween Treats to NHE
- December: Holiday Celebration
- February/March (Date TBD): Deliver School Supplies
- April (Date TBD): Deliver Easter Treats to NHE
- April/May (Date TBD): End-of-Year Party
If you are interested, please contact the church office or Jay Davis at 335-6375 or by email at email@example.com. Spouses/adult family members are also welcome to volunteer!